Official Rules of participation in the Meta-Funka Accessibility Hackathon 2022
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR RECEIVE A PRIZE IN THIS HACKATHON. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Section 1 General rules
- Meta Platforms, Inc. (“Meta”) and Funka Nu (“Funka” or “Sponsor”), hereinafter referred to jointly as the “Organisers”, are the Organisers of the Accessibility Hackathon (hereinafter also referred to as the “Event” or “Hackathon”).
- The aim of the Hackathon is to create innovative digital solutions for increased accessibility. The solutions could be for a program, a full app, a tool, or any digital solution intended to promote equal access to persons with disabilities.
- Any student or group of up to three (3) students as well as any recent university graduates (graduated during 2020, 2021, or 2022) or group of (3) university graduates (hereinafter also referred to as the “Participants”), who are resident in any EEA country, or the UK can take part in the Event.
- The group must appoint and authorize one individual (the “Team Leader”) to represent, act, and submit an Entry, on their behalf. The Team Leader and each Team Member who participates in the Hackathon must meet the eligibility of Section 2 (1).
- The Participants must be minimum 18 years of age and must be a student or recent graduate (graduated during 2020, 2021, or 2022) of a university/school/college within the EEA or UK.
- The Hackathon is an online live event. It will take place on November 30th, 2022, between 4.00 PM Central European Summer Time (“CET”) and 5.30 pm CET.
- The Organisers are entitled to change the online platform or time of the event for organisational reasons. The Organisers will inform the Participants of this in good time by email.
- The competition language is English, and all Participants must speak and understand English.
- The Organisers will provide accessibility services (live captioning and international sign language interpretation) during the Event.
- The Organisers are entitled to record the Participants during the Event and to make the recordings available to the public or display them. The Participants hereby grant the Organisers the irrevocable, sublicensable, free-of-charge, absolute right and permission to use, publish, post or display their name, photograph, likeness, voice, biographical information, any quotes attributable to them, and any other indicia of persona (regardless of whether altered, changed, modified, edited, used alone, or used with other material in the Organisers’ sole discretion) for advertising, trade, promotional and publicity purposes without further obligation or compensation of any kind to the Participants, anywhere worldwide, in any medium now known or hereafter discovered or devised (including, without limitation, on the Internet) without any limitation of time and without notice, review or approval, and each such person releases all Organisers from any and all liability related to such authorized uses. Nothing contained in these Terms obligates the Organisers to make use of any of the rights granted herein and each natural person granting publicity rights under this provision waives any right to inspect or approve any such use.
- The Organisers are entitled to collect and process the personal data of the Participants given during the submission process for the purposes of the Hackathon and with the accordance of the GDPR regulations. Personal information will be collected, processed, and stored in accordance with Funka Nu AB’s data policy (https://www.funka.com/en/about-funka2/about-the-website/general-terms/) and Funka Nu AB will share such information with Meta for purposes of administering this Hackathon.
- Employees, officers, directors, members, managers, agents, and representatives of Organisers, and their parent and subsidiary companies, affiliates, divisions, representatives, consultants, sub-contractors, suppliers, distributors, legal counsel, prize providers, contest administrators, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfilment and marketing agencies (collectively, the “Released Parties”) and members of their immediate families (defined for these purposes as including spouse, domestic partner, parents, legal guardian, legal ward, children, and siblings and each of their respective spouses) and individuals living in the same household as such individuals, are not eligible. In addition, entrants may not be: an official or employee of any multinational, national, regional, or local government in any country, including any official or employee of any government department, agency, commission, or division; any official or employee of any government-owned or -controlled enterprise; any official or employee of any public educational, scientific, or research institution; any political party or official or employee of a political party; any candidate for public office; any official or an employee of a public international organization. Participation in this Hackathon constitutes Participant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor.
- The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Terms will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Terms will otherwise remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. If the Hackathon is not capable of running as planned for any reason, the Organisers reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Hackathon and award the prizes from eligible, non-suspect participation prior to cancellation, modification, or suspension or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by the Organisers.
Section 2 Submission
The submission deadline will open at 10.00 am CET on June 3rd, 2022 and the submission deadline is 5:00 PM CET October 30th, 2022. The Organisers must receive Entries by this date in order for them to be valid. The official timekeeper for the purpose of calculating the submission deadline will be the clock on Funka’s website.
Each individual or team is allowed to submit one or several different Entries. Each Entry, however, must be submitted separately.
All materials submitted in connection with the Hackathon must be in English.
The Entry should be submitted in the form of a document (PDF, digital office format or online) up to 2,500 words that describes the solution, including: the audience that the solution will support, the accessibility issue it will address and the parameters of the solution. The Participants may include media items to complement their proposal such as images, mock-ups, audio recordings or links to prototypes.
The Entry remains the intellectual property of the individuals that developed it.
By submitting an Entry the Participants represent and warrant the following: the Participants will not submit content that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless the Participants are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the content; and the content submitted by the participants does not contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms or other disabling devices or harmful code.
The Participants represent and warrant that they are the sole authors and copyright owners of the Entry, and that the Entry is an original work of the Participants, or if the Entry is a work based on an existing application, that the Participants have acquired sufficient rights to use and to authorize Organisers to use; and that the Entry does not infringe upon any copyright or upon any other third party rights of which the Participants are aware, and that the Entry is free of malware.
The Organisers have the right at their sole discretion to determine whether the Participants are eligible for the Event.
The Organisers may disqualify, at the Organisers’ sole discretion, a Hackathon Entry (including, without limitation, content submitted in connection therewith) that (a) is in violation of third-party rights or law or regulation, (b) uses inappropriate or explicit language or images or displays content that The Organisers otherwise finds objectionable.
Each Entry made by the Participants as part of the Event may be disqualified if it is incomplete, inappropriate, or abusive. The assessment concerned is at the Organisers’ discretion. The Participants and teams shall ensure that their Entries are presented in a way that is understandable to a non-expert third party.
Section 3 Winner Selection
After the submission deadline (October 30th, 2022), Meta will select the three Finalists for presentation. Finalist selection criteria will be innovation level, level of increased accessibility and technical feasibility.
The results of the pre-selection will be communicated to the Finalists by e-mail on November 16th [two weeks before the event]
The Finalists will be required to prepare a short pitch presentation of their Entry to be presented during the live Event on November 30th. The presentation should not exceed 5 minutes.
The Finalists are required to make sure that they have a stable Internet connection, sound, and video during the live Event.
If a Finalist is a group of students, at least one member must be present during the live Event.
The Finalists will be evaluated by the panel of judges, renowned experts on accessibility, selected by the Organisers. The jury is chaired by Meta and consists of representatives from disabled persons organisations, accessibility experts, policy makers and standardisation bodies. All judges’ decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Hackathon.
Judging criteria include (equal weight given to each criterion):
- Innovation level
- Level of increased accessibility
- Technical feasibilit
The winning Entry will be the one that receives the most votes. In case of a draw, the Chairman of the panel will have a final vote.
The winning Entry will be decided at the Event on November 30th.
Section 4 Awards
The winning prize is a Meta Quest 2 with approximate retail value of each Quest device $299.00 USD. In the case of a team winning, up to 3 Meta Quest 2 devices will be awarded and a cash prize of $1,000 USD per team member, not to exceed three team members. Total Approximate Retail Value of all prizes: $3,897.
Actual retail value of the prizes may vary. The Organisers are not responsible for, and winner will not receive, the difference between the actual value of the prize at the time of the awarding of the prize and the stated ARV in these Terms or in any Hackathon-related correspondence or materials.
The prize(s) is non-transferable by the winner(s). By accepting the prize, the winner will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to it. Prizes will be shipped to winners addresses with the EEA or the UK only.
Prizes may not be transferred (a) to any individual, entity, or country prohibited by any applicable U.S. or non-U.S. export controls and trade sanctions; (b) to anyone on U.S. or non-U.S. government restricted parties’ lists; or (c) for any purpose prohibited by applicable export controls and trade sanctions, including nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, or missile technology applications without the required government authorizations. You acknowledge that Sponsor is subject to U.S. economic restrictions and trade sanctions. As such, Sponsor reserves the right to deny distribution of any prize when required by applicable law.
The prize shall not be used in any way, directly or indirectly, to facilitate any act that would constitute bribery or an illegal kickback, or for any political purposes including campaign expenditures or contributions or would otherwise violate any applicable anti-corruption or political activities law. The prize must only be used consistent with the product instructions, terms of service, and health and safety warnings.
Winners are subject to verification by the Organisers.
To claim a prize, winners must follow the directions in his or her notification. Winners may, in Organisers’ sole discretion, be required to complete, sign, notarize (if applicable), and return, without alteration and in the form presented by Organiser, an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and tax forms (as applicable) (collectively, the “Winner Documents”) according to Organisers’ instructions within fourteen (14) days from when Organisers send the Winner Documents or other time frame as specified by Organisers. Failure to comply with these requirements, Organisers’ instructions, or these Terms may, in Organisers’ sole discretion, result in disqualification from the Hackathon and forfeiture of any prize potentially won. The Winner Documents, if required, are each subject to verification by Organisers and may require the participant to provide a government identification number and/or a copy of government-issued identification card or number therefrom. Forms may be issued as appropriate in Organisers’ sole discretion.
Section 5 Code of conduct
The Hackathon is a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, previous hackathon attendance or computing experience (or lack of any of the aforementioned). Therefore, the Participants must treat all team members, competitors, judges, coaches, volunteers, etc., with respect and courtesy.
The Organisers reserve the right at any time to exclude Participants from the Event if they are found to be guilty of breaching the Official Rules of participation, lie in their submissions, disturb the running of the Hackathon, or behave inappropriately. In such cases, the submission of the Participant is excluded from the Hackathon.
By submitting an Entry to the Hackathon, the Participants confirm that they have read and expressly agree to the above provisions.
Section 6 Limitation of liability
Each Participant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the Participant and each of the Released Parties is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the Participants’ decision to participate for purposes of the Hackathon does not place any of the Released Parties in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Hackathon, other than as set forth in these Terms. Each Participant understands and acknowledges that the Released Parties have wide access to ideas, text, images, code, applications, software, and other creative materials. Each Participant also acknowledges that many ideas for products, services, and advertising may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to their Hackathon Entry and/or each other in idea, function, components, format, or other respects. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that such Participant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Released Party’s use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to such Released Party from other sources. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that Organisers do not now and will not have in the future any duty or liability (direct or indirect; vicarious, contributory, or otherwise) with respect to the infringement or protection of the Participant’s or any third party’s patent, copyright, or other proprietary rights in and to the content of their Hackathon Entry.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS, AND INDEMNIFY EACH OF THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR INJURIES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ACCEPTANCE, USE, MISUSE, OR AWARDING OF A PRIZE OR WHILE PREPARING FOR, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY PRIZE- OR HACKATHON-RELATED ACTIVITY INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY INJURY, DAMAGE, LOSS, DEATH OR ACCIDENT TO, OR OF, PERSON OR PROPERTY. THE PRIOR LIMITATION ON DAMAGES IS NOT INTENDED TO LIMIT THE RELEASED PARTIES’ OBLIGATION (IF ANY) TO PAY PREVAILING PARTY COSTS OR FEES IF RECOVERABLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW. THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION WILL NOT LIMIT OR EXCLUDE THE RELEASED PARTIES’ LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR TANGIBLE PROPERTY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE RELEASED PARTIES, OR FOR THE RELEASED PARTIES’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD, OR INTENTIONAL, WILFUL, MALICIOUS, OR RECKLESS MISCONDUCT. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EACH WINNER AGREES THAT THE PRIZES ARE PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, WHETHER NOW KNOWN OR HEREINAFTER ENACTED, RELATIVE TO THE USE OR ENJOYMENT OF THE PRIZE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Section 7 Additional disclaimers
The Released Parties are not responsible and/or liable for any of the following, whether caused by a Released Party, the Participant, or by human error: participation submitted by illegitimate means (such as, without limitation, by an automated computer program) or participation in excess of any stated limit; any lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, garbled, mutilated, or misdirected participation, email, or Hackathon-related correspondence or materials; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in transmission or communication; viruses or technical or mechanical malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable cable or satellite systems; errors, typos, or misprints in these Terms, any Hackathon-related advertisements, or other materials; failures of electronic equipment, computer hardware, or software; lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications or participation information. Released Parties are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable or do not reach a Participant as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind or insufficient space in a potential winner’s email inbox to receive email messages. Released Parties are not responsible, and may disqualify you, if your email address or other contact information does not work or is changed without prior written notice to the Organisers. Without limiting any other provision in these Terms, the Released Parties are not responsible or liable to any Participant or winner (or any person claiming through such Participant or winner) for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof in the event that any of the Hackathon activities or Released Parties’ operations or activities are affected by any cause or event beyond the sole and reasonable control of the applicable Released Party (as determined by the Organisers in their sole discretion), including, without limitation, by reason of any force majeure event, equipment failure, threatened or actual terrorist acts, air raid, act of public enemy, war (declared or undeclared), civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, epidemic, pandemic, fire, explosion, earthquake, flood, hurricane, unusually severe weather, blackout, embargo, labour dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labour or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, any law, rule, regulation, action, order, or request adopted, taken, or made by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not such governmental act proves to be invalid), or any other cause, whether or not specifically mentioned above.
Section 8 Disputes
Except where prohibited by law, any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action between Participant(s) and any Released Party arising out of or connected with this Hackathon, the determination of the winners or the prizes awarded must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will a Participant be permitted or entitled to obtain award for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than the actual out-of-pocket expenses (if any), not to exceed ten ($10) USD, and each Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
In the event of any conflict between any provision of these Terms and any statute, law, or regulation in any jurisdictions, the latter will prevail; provided, however, that in such event, the provision(s) of these Terms so affected will be curtailed and limited only to the minimum extent necessary to permit compliance with the requirement(s) of such statute, law, regulation or provision, and all other terms of these Terms will continue in full force and effect.
RULES/NAMES OF PRIZE WINNERS: A copy of these Terms will be available at https://www.funka.com/en/presentation/webinar/meta-funka-accessibility-hackathon-2022-startpage/ through December 31st, 2022. Information about who won is available by sending an email indicating “Meta-Funka Accessibility Hackathon 2022” to email@example.com Requests for winner information must be received no earlier than 1 December 2022 and no later than 28 February 2023.
SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Hackathon is Funka Nu AB c/o No18 Centralen Centralplan 15 111 20 Stockholm.